This article details information that Murano 1.0 business owners should read, and respond to if necessary, regarding upgrading all Murano 1.0 businesses to support the Advanced Device Connectivity (ADC) features.
IMPORTANT: Please read this article carefully and contact us if you have concerns or questions about the upgrade. All businesses are scheduled to be automatically upgraded on July 24, 2017.
Please contact us if your current devices:
1. Communicate using TLS encryption, but do not configure the SNI field.
The ADC device interface requires all devices set their SNI to the Product’s Communication FQDN in their TLS library. This allows Exosite to offer TLS-level encryption for every Product’s custom FQDN. After the upgrade, unless you contact us, all devices that do not set their SNI to the Product’s FQDN will not be able to communicate. Non-encrypted communications, and encrypted communications with a properly configured SNI field, will function the same as before the upgrade.
2. Use device-specific Resources not included in the Product definition.
ADC-compliant devices can only use Resources that are part of their Product’s definition. By aligning device Resources with their Product’s definition, product-specific capabilities can be enabled like advanced device management and anomaly detection. After the upgrade, unless you contact us, all Resources that are not part of the Product’s definition will be removed. Data reported from devices that are not part of Resource definitions will still be accessible to Murano, but will not inherently be accessible via the Resource APIs.
3. Do not respect/properly utilize the DNS Time-To-Live (TTL)
As part of this upgrade, the IP address associated with your Product’s FQDN will be changed. Devices must refresh their DNS entries to resolve the new IP address. This is typically an automatic function, but some embedded devices with limited IP stacks do not respect the DNS TTL. These devices will need to be reset or to refresh their DNS entries in some other fashion.
If you are not sure about the status of your devices with respect to these two items, please contact us and we will get in touch to discuss the details with you.
After the upgrade, you can expect the following:
- Your Applications will continue to function as before, with one exception: Applications that still use the deprecated rpcCall will no longer be able to use the rpcCall functionality.
- Your Products will continue to function as before, with the three exceptions detailed above.
- Your existing Products will now be accessible via an upgraded Product User Interface.
- Your Products now have their own full “Solution” context available to them that is isolated from the Application context. This allows product-specific functionality to be added that can be used in multiple Applications.
- Your Application will now have a new Product Service where additional ADC-enabled Products can be connected to your Application.
- You will be able to add new Applications and Products to your existing businesses (assuming your Subscription Tier and billing profile allow it).
- A Compatibility Layer will be deployed into your Application that makes your existing Product interface compatible with your existing Application—your Application code will not need to change. The Compatibility Layer will be supported until December 31, 2017 (read below for more information).
- Your migrated Product’s FQDN (Device connectivity URL) will remain the same (<productid>.m2.exosite.com or as customized previously).
- In order to deploy your existing Application into new businesses, you will need to modify its Solutionfile.json file per the Application Porting Guide for ADC.
The Compatibility Layer that makes your existing Application software backward compatible with your existing Products will be supported until December 31, 2017. After this date, although your existing Applications will continue to function, you will not be able to create new Applications that contain code requiring the Compatibility Layer. In order to modify your Application to function without the Compatibility Layer, please read the Application Porting Guide for ADC or contact us .
If you have any questions about the upcoming upgrade or other information in this email, please let us know!
Happy to help,
Exosite Support Team