What is a Custom Hostname in Murano?
Provided you have an Enterprise Business Tier, you can host your Murano Application at "*.yourdomain.com" within your Murano Business account. With this, you can fully customize your Solution to represent your internet-connected Product.
You will need to have purchased your own domain name first, and you will need to manage that domain through DNS or the tools that your provider gives you.
CUSTOM DOMAIN / HOSTNAME FAQ
Do I need SSL certificates?
In order to support your custom Solution hostname you will need to provide your own certificate for us to install on Exosite's Murano platform (see below). We do require SSL on Exosite Murano Applications.
Can’t you get a SSL certificate for my domain?
We can’t. The owner of the domain (*.yourdomain.com) needs to order the SSL certificate. We will, however, generate the Private Key and Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for you to use in purchasing the SSL certificate for your domain.
Do you support Wildcard certificates?
Yes. We do support certificates for Wildcard Fully-Qualified-Domain-Names (FQDNs).
SETTING UP A CUSTOM DOMAIN / HOSTNAME PROCESS
For Enterprise Business Tiers who would like to use their own hostname instead of yourname.apps.exosite.io, the following steps are followed to set up the custom hostname. Please contact Exosite Sales or your Account Manager for more information about this option as it is only available for accounts at certain Business Tiers.
Note: Your FQDN should have at least two dots in it; for example, "iot.exosite.com" is a valid custom hostname, but "exosite.com/iot" is not.
- The initial Solution in Murano (www.exosite.io) - e.g. "*.apps.exosite.io" - has to already have been created.
- Submit a ticket to us (Exosite Support) using the subject 'Custom Hostname' with the following information:
- Business ID
- Solution ID
- Desired domain (e.g. "portal.yourdomain.com")
- Certificate Signing Request details (from your company's IT team, or whoever manages your websites) with the following fields:
- Country Name (2 letter code): e.g. US
- State or Province Name (full name): e.g. Minnesota
- Locality Name: e.g. Minneapolis
- Organization Name: e.g. the name of your company
- Organizational Unit Name (optional): e.g. Information Technology
- Common Name: (your custom domain) e.g. portal.yourdomain.com OR *.yourdomain.com
- Email Address (optional): e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will return a CSR and DNS record.
- Your IT team sends the CSR to a certificate signing authority.
- Your IT team creates the DNS record.
- Your IT team provides the SSL certificate, in PEM format, received from the certificate signing authority to Exosite via the ticket with Exosite Support.
- Exosite adds this SSL certificate to our platform.
- Exosite associates the new custom hostname with your Solution.
To verify that the DNS record is set up properly, you can use the tool called dig (Domain Information Groper). This tool will output information from DNS name servers to check that what you thought you set up is actually what was created.